The Brooklyn Navy Yard Center is a two building complex housed in the fully restored 1857 United States Marine Corps Commander’s Residence and a new 20,000 square foot glass and steel building in the historic Brooklyn industrial park. Stuart-Lynn Company worked with Beyer Blinder Belle and Workshop APD Architects on the project, which included a new public entrance to the yard and permanent public exhibition components documenting the rich local and national history of the Brooklyn Navy Yard. The building houses non-profit organization tenants and includes educational and community rooms, a rooftop café, special events space and a landscaped courtyard. The project achieved LEED Platinum Certification, reinforcing the yard’s status as a national model for sustainable industrial parks. The original building had been neglected and was uninhabitable at the project’s outset, presenting many challenges for its adaptive reuse. Existing pilings were rotting and a series of grillage beams was provided to transfer the load to newly installed adjacent pilings. The new structure includes glass and steel panels fabricated
within the Navy Yard itself by a pre-fabricated building supplier.
Size: 33,000 sf
Architect: Beyer Blinder Belle, Workshop APD
Engineer: AKF Consulting Engineers, Robert Silman Associates