New York, NY
Stuart-Lynn Company worked with The New York State Office of General Services, Herzog and de Meuron Architects and Platt Byard Dovell White Architects to renovate and transform portions of this existing historic Seventh Regiment Armory in Manhattan. The project included renovations to the original 1879 Stanford White building as well as substantial transformations to the existing 55,000 square foot Drill Hall. The historic renovations were implemented by Platt Byard Dovell White Architects. These included historic preservation of the façade and the elaborate interiors designed by Louis Comfort Tiffany with stained glass in the style of the American Aesthetic Movement, amalgamating exotic motifs and decorative techniques from around the world, along with wrought iron chandeliers, tiled fireplaces, bronze statues and other antique fixtures. The new design component by Herzog and de Meuron will create a state-of-the- art venue for visual and performing arts, capable of accommodating even the most grandly scaled performance works in the vast space of the Drill Hall. The project included the full modernization of all MEP systems for the building woven through its historic fabric, including the implementation of air conditioning within the building for the first time. The building is the leading location in the city for renowned art, antiques and crafts shows.
Size: 171,000 sf
Architect: Herzog & de Meuron, Platt Byard Dovell White
Engineer: AKF Consulting Engineers, Robert Silman Associates