The Corning Museum of Glass, located in Corning, New York, was founded in 1951 and is dedicated to the history of glass. The museum contains historical exhibits, hands-on learning, and glass making demonstrations. It offers classes and workshops and houses the Rakow Research Library, dedicated to the study of glass. Stuart-Lynn worked with Thomas Phifer and Partners on the North Wing Addition to the museum. The façade of the new building will consist of large white glass panels, which contrasts with the original building’s black metal exterior. The north side of the building will feature a 150 foot long window wall overlooking the one acre campus green. The new wing will include a 26,000 square foot art gallery, as well as one of the world’s largest facilities for glassblowing demonstrations. The North Wing will accommodate 500 people and include a gallery level balcony overlooking the demonstration area. Stuart-Lynn provided cost estimates during the Master Plan, Schematic Design, Design Development, and Construction Document phases as well as value engineering and reconciliation.
Size: 128,610 sf
Architect: Thomas Phifer and Partners
Engineer: AltieriSeborWieber Consulting Engineers, Guy Nordenson and Associates